Unfortunately, many of us do not follow the road safety rules we are so familiar with. It happens because we get so carried away by riding or adventures and pay little attention to the basic road safety rules. Pedestrians, cyclists and motorists are all vulnerable to road accidents and injuries if these rules are ignored. We will cover some 5 road safety basics that many of us seem to forget.
- Use of mobile phones and headphones. If you are a pedestrian, using your mobile phone or headphones when crossing the road is very risky. These instruments can also act as a distraction to drivers and cause serious accidents and injuries on the roads.
- Staying awake and alert. Whether you are driving or crossing the road, you need to remain alert because your safety depends on it. If you are feeling fatigued and sleepy when driving, pull over and do some physical exercise or ask someone else to take the wheel. Many car accidents have occurred because of drivers who were too tired and drowsy to pay full focus on the road. Most importantly, focus on the road and do not look down.
- Check your car mirrors. Your car mirrors are very important as they can help to ascertain your safety while on the road. Know your car well so that you are familiar with the blind spots. Make sure any damaged mirrors are maintained before you set out on the road.
- Drive at recommended speed.Over speeding has been known to be the leading cause of motor vehicle accidents all over the country. Sometimes drivers get tempted to drive fast in order to get to their destination early. But always think about the repercussions when you ignore a speed limit. Also, avoid driving too close to other cars.
- Don’t just park anywhere. When it’s time for you to stopover for a while, check if it’s a safe area to park. You don’t want to experience non-consensual towing just because you neglect to verify whether or not it’s a tow away zone.
- No drinking and driving. If you know you are going out with friends to have a good time, try not to take your car with you. Take a cab home or assign a designated driver. Drinking and driving is a sure way to endanger your life and that of others on the road.
One last thing, make sure you drive for the weather and always have phone numbers of tow trucks company just in case you get stuck . Do not try to drive on a flooded road. The puddle can be deeper than it appears so you risk losing control. The water can make it difficult to keep your wheel steady so it’s best to avoid driving when it’s flooded.